Monday, December 2, 2013

Senior Response # 4


Make up posting: Ways of Seeing by Jon Berger

I really like these videos. I watched them for the first time in freshman year 2D Foundations, and keep coming back to them periodically. The one that strikes me the most has always been Episode 2, about the female in Western Art. It seemed to put into words what I’d sensed myself about the objectified and marginalized status of women in society, but could never articulate. Which is strange because the words are coming out of the mouth of a man living in the 1970s. Still accurate, in my view.

I think it’s interesting that photography and older art forms, painting especially, are so intertwined, although many people don’t realize it. Photography was influenced greatly by painting, but painting was also profoundly affected by the invention and popularization of photography. The reproduction aspect was something I hadn’t thought of in depth before. We live in a time when pretty much everything is reproducible; does this make us take things for granted, including art? Maybe. But the ability to share instantly across the world seems worth it to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment